Lied to as a kid

This subject has always been one in the back of my mind for some time. But I feel I was lied to as a kid quite a lot.
For example, when out shopping with my parents I would quite often want something. A pair of trainers, the ghostbusters tower HQ or a can of nuts that when you opened it those snakes jumped out, but I was always told "if you're good, we'll see on the way back". Excitedly I'd hold my mums hand and be on my best behaviour only to find that my mum would have planned the walk back to the car by taking a 20min detour to avoid that shop.

Now I understand that parents need to lie, in situation like this, it stops kids being shouty and spoilt (like now, but that's another topic) but some of the lies I was told as a kid are terrible.

My favourite film as a child (and now) is Top Gun, I loved it, if I was at home I watched it at least once a day on the video recorded off the tv with the tab clicked off so no one could record over it, I could repeat it word for word and still can. I loved this film so much because my grandad had told me it was based on his life in the RAF during his national service in the 50's.
One English lesson we were asked to write about our favourite film and why it was our favourite film, easy when your film is about your grandad! I was laughed at by my own teacher, and it turns out that my grandad only used to fill the planes up with fuel and they weren't F-14s on a aircraft carrier like in Top Gun more an airfield in the Rutland countryside.

This brings me onto sex, and more importantly sex education, at school we had started to learn about sex and specifically where babies come from. Whilst sat watching TV (Big Break was on) in the living room with my mum one night I asked the question "What are foreceps?" I assume attempting to avoid the possible conversation that was coming she answered "its the extender thing they use in snooker", so right into my early adult life I thought when delivering a baby they would use a long stick with a star metal star on the end to hook the baby out.

The same goes for children's books, Roald Dahl, now u went round Cadburys world recently and having not stolen any chocolate, not getting sucked up a huge chocolate sucking tube, not getting shrunk to TV size and not being discarded as a bad nut I was still not offered the chocolate factory business!

See ruined by childhood stories!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Return top