The Hollybush in Cradley Heath


Well Hell-E-O!

So as I said in my last post I was going to be doing a gig at The Hollybush in Cradley Heath. I'd heard allot of good things about this place, it does seem to be THE place to go and gig in the West Midlands at the moment, so I was pleased to be able to secure a spot here.
I did bring my amazing fan base with me, Nicola (my understanding wife, and the biggest "laughter" I know), Rob, Spad, Ste, Andy, Rachel, Sam (FFF), Sarah (Leather Girl) and 2 new additions to my fan base Simon and Jen. So just from that list you can probably tell that the place was pretty packed out!

The night was being compered by Phillip Mccullough, and he got the crowd whipped up with his amazing view of the stories from the local rag! First up was Robert Callaghan, who'd travelled all the way from Maidstone, yes IN KENT, to perform at this venue. He looked like some scared German back packer when he arrived, HUUUGE big rucksack on his back and his blond hair looking like he was from the Aryan race. On arrival he threw his bag down behind the gambling machine, and somehow managed to turn EVERYTHING electrical off in the pub! But anyhoo, he got up and did his very clever 10mins of material, or was it 15-20, seeing as Mr. Mccullough was still finishing off his curry!
We then had a break, and it was the turn of Boosh to take the stage. Now I've known Boosh for around about a month now, and you can only describe this guy as a "character". He is currently attending the same course that I did at the start of the year and his genre of comedy is, how can you put it, strange. His entire set revolved around him having a massive cock, and this really didn't win the crowd over! He came off after what felt like 30mins, after forgetting his set and then reading from what I can only hope is his "in progress" notepad. He left the stage on a little bit of a low, as when claiming that Godzilla had a huge cock like his, an audience member (SPAD), pointed out that Godzilla was a women, because she laid eggs.

MORE.... MORE! WE WANT MORE

So I was up next, I was "bigged up" by the compere as "A guy that will not disappoint" and I took the stage to much applause and cheering (thanks to my fan base).
The set went well and I had the crowd laughing at ALL the right points, I did a mix of new and old stuff and it seemed to flow very well. Once I'd finished Phillip Mccullough pointed out that I was "obviously saving some material back" to the audience, to which the locals asked me to go back on stage, "Because we like you". MY FIRST EVER ENCORE!! Obviously I shyly walked back on stage and did the rest of my material that I had left out. Which again went down a storm! There is a full review HERE of the night.

Paul Hayman took the stage after another break and has the crowd in bits from his well constructed lines and stories.


So all in all a great night and a great gig! Onwards and upwards, here's to my next encore, hopefully this week at the "So You Think You're Funny" awards on Sunday


Toodle Pip!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Return top