Phoenix Gig - 29/04/10 - Remember the date

My my my my my! Didn't he do well!
- if I do say so myself, The Phoenix gig was FAN-TASTIC!

I was extremely nervous, I'd arrived at the venue at 6.30pm, and from the off there were some problems: No lights in the room, Hangs to the Left (Headliners) had arrived and they were busily trying to set up and sound check the room in the pitch black.
Once we had the lights on, we discovered that we had turned ALL the lights on, including the "Disco" lights, and we didn't know how to turn them off. Once we'd sorted the lighting it was time to test the microphones, which again showed more problems with a terrible buzz coming from the main mic that was going to be used by everyone, making my "one, two, one two" sound like Stephen Hawkins stuck in a loop. Luckily the guys new someone who could fix this on the phone and whilst I was getting chairs from downstairs they worked his magic.
All these problems were helping me to forget that this was only my second gig, and this time it was in front of a crowd of people that were PAYING for comedy. The previous gig at Highlight had been to an audience of friends and family of the "new" comedians, so they were expecting mistakes.
As showtime approached, the room was looking quite emtpy, but somehow (and I don't want to know how he did it) Phillip Mccollough (MC for the evening) rallied the punters up from downstairs and they started filling in.
It was then dropped on me that there was no one to announce Phillip on stage, so Liam decided that I was to do it, now this helped my nerves, as I was going to get 20seconds on stage, so people would know who I was...... What didn't help was the microphone not working when I attempted to start!
So anywho! Phillip did a great job at getting the crowd going and was excellent, Ben Hutchinson was on next, and again had a great gig even with his bad throat that everyone thought was going to give up on him any minute. Once Ben came off, Phillip did another 5mins and then it was time for JonnyP to entertain!
I was CRAPPING myself all the way through, but from the sounds of the audience I went down really well, it has been recorded so hopefully this week I'll get a copy of my 10mins and get it uploaded onto here or youtube (maybe both). Of course if it sounds like I went down really badly, the tape may get "lost".
Can I just say a big well done to all the guys that followed on after me, Rob Jones, Darren Corcoran and Lee O'Connell. You all did fantastic, if we all do gigs again together we should travel as the "Comic Virgins"!
So thats it, pretty much what you can take from this is "My video will hopefully be up in the next couple of days.
If you want to see me live then you'l have to get your arses to the The Hollybush in Rugby on Thursday 6th May, The Highlight in Birmingham on Sunday 9th May or the Crumblin' Cookie in Leicester on the Thursday 13th May.
Tar Tar For Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Return top